St. Matthew Parish was canonically established on March 21, 1976, but opened its doors on March 1, 1975. However, our beginnings started in late 1974 when Cardinal John Cody gave Fr. Edward Hughes the assignment of founding a new parish on the east side of Schaumburg. His response was "Where is Schaumburg?" Needless to say, that question has since been answered. As a result, families gathered to raise funds for the new parish. Our first Mass was celebrated at the Meineke Recreation Center on March 1, 1975 with about 200 people in attendance. December 3, 1976 saw the groundbreaking ceremony at the current parish site. The Worship Center (now the Hughes Center), Rectory and a third of the parking areas were completed eleven months later. By 1984 there were 1800 families registered and the parish had outgrown the Worship Center. In April 1985, ground was broken for the new Parish Center, which now serves as both church and multipurpose facility, and was later dedicated by Cardinal Joseph Bernardin on August 30, 1986. Time and again, the people of St. Matthew have generously come forward to help support the needs of the parish community.